Contact Us

LEED stands for “Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design”, and is an internationally recognized green building certification system developed and implemented by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).

The system was developed in order to encourage the use of recycled and recyclable materials in construction.  It gives credits for the use of those items, which may translate into incentives or simply be used to meet requirements that have been established for the construction.  The material credits are broken down into separate credits for using Pre-Consumer recycling (meaning materials used in manufacturing that are not delivered to customers as part of the product,) and Post-Consumer recycling (the product itself.)

Up to this point, LEED does not give any credits to WT&C products.  There are places within the LEED documents (Credit 2 and Credit 4) that may seem like they give credits, but the overall statement in the LEED requirements is that “Mechanical, electrical and plumbing components and specialty items such as elevators cannot be included in this calculation.”  However, there is a new Pilot Credit 2 under a Pilot Program being tested that does provide credit for electrical conduit.  If your use of LEED credits is for the pilot program, or you simply need data, the following is provided.

Steel manufacturers do not provide us with the recycled content of their steels, because each batch they produce is different and keeping track of it is very complex.  As a result we can’t provide exact information on the specific items delivered to a particular construction job.  The industry has decided that the best thing conduit and tubing manufacturers can do is to provide overall industry averages for our products.

Steel is produced two different ways, and the amount of recycled steel each uses to create new steel is different.  Data from the Steel Recycling Institute indicates that steel produced by a Basic Oxygen Furnace (BOF) process has an average Post-Consumer recycled content of 25.5% and a Pre-Consumer recycled content of 6.8%.  Steel produced by the Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) process has an average Post-Consumer content of 56.9% and a Pre Consumer content of 31.4%.

Currently, WT&C uses steel from multiple sources, and the use of BOF steel is approximately 95%, with the other 5% being EAF.  Doing the calculations based on all of the above provides the following grand averages.

Post-Consumer Recycled content      -27%Pre-Consumer Recycled content      -8%

And finally, our steel products are 100% recyclable.

Jeff Bloom 4/26/2013

Quality Assurance Manager

WTC LEED STATEMENT